Jeremiah 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Trust and Thorough

Photo from http://hateandanger.files.wordpress.com
As I was reading the first 13 verses in 2 Timothy 4 this morning, the 5th verse really caught my attention; especially the way Peterson paraphrases it in The Message:

But you—keep your eye on what you’re doing; accept the hard times along with the good; keep the Message alive; do a thorough job as God’s servant.

Two words impress upon me this morning as I read this: Trust and Thorough.

I'm captivated by the phrase "accept the hard times along with the good".  I've vented a lot here over the last few months about my disappointment, frustration, anger, and just plain irritation with events at my job this past year.   I've investigated what the Word has to say about hardships in life, and realize more and more how hard times are just a part of the whole picture; even really hard times.  

In his devotional Silent Strength, Lloyd Olgilvie shares his take on it this way: "we back away from the cost of discipleship when the going gets tough because we don't trust Christ to bring good out of difficulties".  I can't help but think of Romans 8:28 when I read that.  Can't help but as myself that same old question that I come back to so often - am I gonna trust God or not?


Photo from http://pinterest.com/thoroughconcept/




Thorough is an interesting word.  Wikipedia dictionary defines it this way:
  1. Complete with regard to every detail; not superficial or partial: "planners need a thorough understanding of the subject".
  2. Performed or written with great care and completeness: "a thorough examination of the wreckage". "
I want that to be able to be said of me - that I do a thorough job as God's  servant!

Last year I got into the idea of picking 1 or 2 words to be the focus or goal for the upcoming year instead of goals per say.  This year I'm thinking that I  want trust and thorough to be my words.

What about you, what words do you see yourself wanting to be your focus for 2013?




















































No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin